BreakThrough Physios are now LSVT BIG® certified clinicians. LSVT BIG® trains people with Parkinson’s disease to use their body more normally. LSVT BIG® is an intensive, amplitude-focused treatment that effectively trains your neuromuscular system.
Who Benefits from LSVT Treatment?
The exercises can be modified depending on the patient’s functional ability. Developed and scientifically researched over the past 25 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health, LSVT BIG® has demonstrated improvements in motor function in people with Parkinson’s disease including, but not limited to:
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk rotation
- Improvements in daily living activities such as bed mobility and dressing
- Improved fine motor control
LSVT BIG Program Features
The LSVT treatment protocol consists of:
- 16 occupational or physical therapy sessions:
- 4 consecutive days per week for 4 weeks
- Individual one-hour sessions
- Daily homework practice/carryover exercises
- Program available as an outpatient or via home
health (physician order required)